I wanted to share a little beach wave curling tutorial bc I get asked all the time how to curl your hair for this look. Although I do different curling techniques for beach waves, I wanted to share this one because I love how it is a little BoHo without a lot of curl! I call it the "Curl & Swirl".
1. Properly prep your hair before drying and apply a thermal heat protectant. Then proceed to dry your hair with a round brush and get it as smooth as you can. I find this makes your curls / waves look smoother and shinier.
2. The next step depends on what is easy for you. You can either section your hair into workable parts or you can just grab pieces and start curling away.
3. Starting at the front you are going to take a 1/2"-1" of hair and curl back away from your face. Continue with each piece until you get to the center of the back of your head. Another option would be to alternate curling directions by going backward and then forward giving it a little different look.
4. When you start with the curl, start at the top of the hair and curl and swirl down. Never start at the bottom of the hair and work up! Another thing to remember is that when trying to achieve beach waves, you can either curl all the way down or leave a 1"-2" of hair out on the ends. But for this demo I'm going all the way down using 1/2 " Hot Tools curling iron curling away from the face to the back center and then repeating on the other side of the face.
5. If your new to curling, it is always best advise to practice with heat off to get the feel for it first! If you're comfortable then grab your curling iron of any size you would like to try this with and I hope has heat settings. Depending on your hair type will determine which setting it should be on. For fine, fragile hair, or color treated use below 200 degrees or you run the risk of damaging and frying your hair. If your hair is course, curly, or thick you can go between 200 - 300 degrees and adjust accordingly. No one should ever go above and beyond 400 degrees!
6. Once you have all the curls done, let them sit a min to cool off. Spray some texture spray or a dry wax spray into the hair.
7. Take a wide tooth comb and comb through the curls or use your hands to shake through the hair making it piecey!
I hope you have enjoyed this and that it has helped you achieve those lovely beachy waves! If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave one below. If you know anyone that would like this article as much as you, feel free to share it via Facebook or Email. Make sure you subscribe to my monthly newsletter where you will find out about my latest adventures, specials and promotions.